iOS 12.2 also includes four new Animoji, AirPlay multitasking, as well as bug fixes and other improvements. Continue reading Apple’s official release notes for iOS 12.2 below.
- Apple News+ is a new subscription service that extends the Apple News experience with hundreds of magazines and top newspapers.
- Our editors handpick top articles and magazine issues, and you also get personalized recommendations on the topics most interesting to you.
- Automatic downloads make it easy to read magazine issues offline.
- Apple News is now available in Canada, with a free experience that includes handpicked Top Stories, a personalized Today feed, and support for both English and French.
- Apple News+ is available in the U.S. and in Canada, with dozens of additional Canadian magazines.
- Ask Siri on your iPhone or iPad to play any video, show, movie, sports game, or channel on Apple TV. For example, “Hey Siri, play Free Solo on my TV.”
- Four new Animoji—owl, boar, giraffe and shark—are included for iPhone X and later, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation) and iPad Pro 11-inch.
- Dedicated TV controls in Control Center and on the Lock Screen give you quick access to TV controls.
- AirPlay multitasking for video allows you to browse other apps, as well as play other short form audio and video files locally on your device without interrupting AirPlay.
- AirPlay destinations are now grouped by content type making it faster for you to find what device you want to play to.
Apple Pay and Apple Card
- Apple Pay Cash customers can now transfer money to their bank accounts instantly using their Visa debit cards.
- Wallet app now conveniently displays Apple Pay credit and debit transactions right below the card.
- Apple on Monday officially debuted the Apple Card. It’s an Apple-branded credit card issued with Goldman Sachs. And it may just look an extremely attractive option for anyone looking for a new credit card. Learn the pros and cons of Apple Card here.
- Apple Pay Cash transfers will no longer be available for credit card advances. Learn more here.
- Downtime can be configured with a different schedule for each day of the week.
- A new toggle enables easily turning app limits on or off temporarily.
- Website sign-in now occurs automatically after filling credentials with Password AutoFill.
- Warnings now appear when loading unencrypted webpages.
- Removes support for the expired Do Not Track standard to prevent potential use as a fingerprinting variable; Intelligent Tracking Prevention now protects against cross-site tracking by default.
- Smart Search Field queries can now be modified by tapping the arrow icon next to search suggestions.
- The Browse tab shows more editorial highlights on a single page making it easier to discover new music, playlists, and more.
- Support for new AirPods (2nd generation)
Other Bug Fixes and Improvements
- Supports Air Quality Index in Maps for US, UK, and India.
- Includes information in Settings on how much time remains on your device’s warranty period.
- Supports real-time text (RTT) for phone calls made through a nearby iPhone on iPad and iPod Touch.
- Displays a “5G E” icon for iPhone 8 and later, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation) or iPad Pro 11-inch indicating that users are in an area where AT&T’s 5G Evolution network is available.
- Improves quality of audio recordings in Messages.
- Improves stability and performance of Apple TV Remote on iOS.
- Fixes an issue that prevented some missed calls from appearing in Notification Center.
- Addresses an issue where a badge notification could appear on Settings even though no action is needed.
- Addresses an issue in Settings > General > iPhone Storage where the storage size of some large apps, the System category, and the Other category in the storage bar graph could be incorrect.
- Fixes an issue that could cause Voice Memos to automatically play back recordings after connecting to a car Bluetooth device.
- Resolves an issue that could cause Voice Memos to temporarily prevent renaming a recording.
iOS 12.2 can be dowloaded to compatible iOS devices by heading to Settings > General > Software Update.